It is important to stay clean during your period. Blood is not dirty but leaks can happen and unchanged pads and cloths can become smelly. There are a number of things you can do during your period to help you feel fresher and more comfortable.
- Wash your outside your genital area at least once a day. If you do not have access to a shower or bath, use a small amount of water, soap and a soft cloth
- Change your sanitary products (e.g. pads or cloths) regularly. Every six hours at least or when you feel the cloth is getting full.
- Wash your hands with soap before and after changing your sanitary product.
- If possible, rinse your genital area with water after using the toilet
- Don't use any products like soap or deodorant inside the vagina.
- Keep the area between your legs dry
- Always wash cloths out with a small amount of cold soapy water and rinse well. Find a private place to dry the cloth and avoid reusing a damp one.
- Use clean underwear and wash regularly.
Next article:Correcting menstruation myths