It is normal for some girls to feel pain in their lower abdomen (stomach area) during periods. This pain comes because your body is shedding and squeezing menstrual fluid (blood) out. You may also get a sore back or feel sick, dizzy and bloated.
The pain and sickness is nothing to worry about as your body recovers after just a few days. If you continue to feel unwell though, see a doctor.
Top tips to relieve pain before and during your period:
- Stay active. A brisk 30-minute walk can help as can some light stretching exercises.
- Apply a warm heating pad your stomach.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Eat a balanced diet that includes a good amount of fruit and vegetables.
- If the pain gets particularly bad, you can take painkillers every 4-6 hours.