What is a budget?
A budget is how we decide what we will spend our money on, even in stressful times.
How can you design a family budget?
1. Find out if your community offers help.
- Your government may be giving money, or food parcels to families during COVID-19.
- Ask if places in your communities are giving support.
2. Create a list of how much you spend now.
- Get a piece of paper and a pen.
- The amount of money your family can spend on food and supplies can change every month. Write down how much money your family can spend this month!
- Draw pictures of all the things you and your family spend money on each month.
- Write next to each picture how much each thing costs, and how many of those items you need in one month.
3. Talk about needs and wants.
- Needs: which things are important or needed for your family to survive? (Examples: food, soap to wash hands, medicine for family members).
4. Build your own budget.
- Find a bag of stones or anything with lots of bits. This is your money for the month.
- As a family, decide what pictures you will spend your money on, and put the stones on your picture.
- If you can save even a little bit of money for the future or an emergency—it is great!
Thanks for reading! Click the link below to share your opinion on these parenting tips.Is this parenting information helpful?